The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi is set to introduce five new programs in the upcoming academic session. These programs are designed to equip students with specialized knowledge and skills in emerging fields. The new courses include BTech in General Engineering, BTech in Microelectronics and VLSI, BTech in Materials Sciences and Engineering, BTech in Chemical Science, and BTech in Mathematics and Computing. Admission to these programs will be based on the students’ JEE Advanced ranking.
Prof. Laxmidhar Behera, the director of IIT Mandi, expressed the institution’s commitment to academic excellence and innovation. He highlighted the importance of providing students with a comprehensive education that prepares them for the ever-changing demands of the industry. These new programs align with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, promoting interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary skill sets.
Let’s take a closer look at each program:
- BTech in General Engineering: The first two years will introduce students to various engineering disciplines, such as Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Data Science, and Computer Science. In the final two years, students can choose a specialization from options including Energy Engineering, advanced manufacturing, e-mobility, artificial intelligence and robotics, fashion design and technology, animation, and product design.
- BTech in Microelectronics and VLSI: This program emphasizes advanced courses in device-level design, fabrication, and CAD tools, using industry-standard EDA tools. The curriculum focuses on developing a skilled workforce for semiconductor design, providing clean room facilities, instrumentation facilities, and a strong industry-oriented curriculum.
- BTech in Materials Science and Engineering: With a focus on sustainability, renewable energy, urban mining, quantum technologies, and artificial intelligence, this program equips students with theoretical knowledge and practical expertise in conventional and advanced materials.
- BTech in Mathematics and Computing: This program builds a strong foundation in Mathematics, computing, and computational thinking. It emphasizes the development of analytical and problem-solving skills applicable across various fields in science and engineering.
- BS in Chemical Sciences: IIT Mandi’s School of Chemical Sciences introduces a 4-year Bachelor of Science (BS) program in Chemical Sciences. Students can specialize in key branches of Chemistry, including Organic, Inorganic, Physical, and Materials Chemistry. The curriculum also offers minors in Engineering and humanities disciplines, providing research opportunities and an optional 1-year MS program.
The introduction of these programs marks IIT Mandi’s commitment to providing students with a cutting-edge education that prepares them for the future. By combining theoretical knowledge with practical experience and interdisciplinary courses, IIT Mandi aims to produce well-rounded graduates ready to meet the evolving demands of the industry.