According to initial reports, styrene gas from the plant spread over a radius of about three kilometres, affecting at least five villages.
VISAKHAPATNAM – A large number of people have fallen sick after a gas leak incident at a chemical plant located near Gopalapatnam area in Visakahapatnam city in the wee hours of Thursday.
The incident happened at LG Polymers Plant at around 2.30-3 a.m. The gas reportedly spread over a radius of about three kilometres, affecting at least five villages including R.R. Venkatapuram, Padmapuram, B.C. Colony and Kamparapalem.
According to Commissioner of Police Rajeev Kumar Meena, around 100 to 200 people have fallen sick due to breathing problem and vomiting, and have been shifted to King George Hospital in the city. There are no reports of casualties.
The Commissioner said that as per the initial report, there was a leak of styrene gas from the plant, and people residing in the area were caught unaware. He said that the police had to break open doors to evacuate the residents.
According to the police, about 2,000 people have been evacuated to various places, and many residents have moved out on their own.
District Collector V. Vinay Chand said that about 300 beds have been kept ready and people have been asked to cover their faces with wet cloth.
An NDRF team has reached the spot to evacuate people.
According to a resident, the police reached the spot around 3 a.m. and alerted the residents with loud speakers and siren. The Collector said that ambulances, police vans and APSRTC buses were deputed to evacuate the people following this.