Dr A K PURI
Soon the way we navigate our way to reach a destination, driving a vehicle or by walk will change for the better. From asking strangers the way, installing GPS and eventually using satellite monitored maps we have come a long way in trekking unknown paths and arriving at new addresses on the dot, including completely unseen, unknown foreign cities or countryside. Technology is on the horizon with an animated pet, may be of your choice, guiding your way on the road- moving a bit ahead with all the landmarks on the path physically visible on mobile phone’s screen in real time so that there is no chance of a wrong turn or entering from wrong side of a one-way road.
Coming out from work, your driverless car may confirm the destination through a voice conversation. After dropping you at the home or market it will go for self- parking. You need not search for key to main door of the house as the face detection device opens the door, lights get switched on, air conditioning having been switched on in time for the indoors temperatures being maintained to your liking.
These illustrations are not figments of imagination or part script of a futuristic fiction movie. Professionals in Artificial Intelligence are working assiduously to make it happen. Artificial intelligence is the buzz word today for a completely new, unexplored world with imagination and creativity bordering on fantasy. Artificial intelligence is being applied to all spheres of human knowledge and application. While some sectors may be at the start of their AI journey, others are veteran travelers. The impact artificial intelligence is going to make in our day to day lives will be tremendous with hardly any aspect of life left untouched.
With such a vast potential of applications a vast field of output is open to explore for career seekers as professionals to come up with disruptive technologies. According to published sources much headway has been made in sectors that affect our daily life. Some of the illustrations are:
- In agriculture new AI advancements aim to improve yield and to increase the research and development related to all aspects of growing crops. With an increase in population, growth of demand for food will require at least 70% increase in crop yield to feed the future generations. Adaption of AI can help reach that goal.
- AI based software is being developed which can enable a damaged aircraft to continue flight until a safe landing zone can be reached. The software will compensate for all the damaged components by relying on the undamaged components.
- Researchers have created many tools to solve the most difficult problems in computer science. AI can be used to create other AI. A program has been developed that can animate face of a target person, transposing the facial expressions. The technology has been demonstrated animating the lips of people including Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin.
- AI developers have been working on a way to detect tampered documents by analyzing movements of the eyelid. This can help journalists to detect fake documents.
- AI is working on developing study devices that can create lessons, problems, and games which are tailor made to the specific student’s needs on individual basis. This will take the learning process to a much higher level of efficiency and apptness.
- In financial sector AI systems have made forays in to investment, trading of securities and credit analysis to an amazing level. By applying algorithm Trading using machines it is possible to make trading decisions in stock exchanges and currency or commodity markets at speeds several multiples of magnitudes greater than any human is capable of. These machine aided trades often make millions of trade transactions in a day without any human intervention. Many banks, funds, and proprietary trading firms now have entire portfolios which are managed purely by AI systems.
- An AI based app has already been developed that automatically helps consumers track and manage their spending and savings based on their own personal habits and goals. The app can analyze factors such as monthly income, current balance and spending habits, then make its own decisions and transfer money to different types of accounts.
- AI tools are also being developed to bring healthcare to new levels of efficiency so that it can reach to a larger number of beneficiaries. Diagnostics have been taken to an unexplored level of predictive application.
- In the arena of business management tools are being developed that help job searchers and prospective employers taking human resource management to a new level of relevance and effectiveness.
- In marketing stream analyzing consumer behaviour and providing most apt knowledge about products and services can bring in a new order. Artificial intelligence is being implemented in automated online assistants that can be seen as human beings on web pages assisting customers on enquiries and product choice. Major companies are investing in AI to handle difficult customer in the future. AI application can analyze language and convert speech into text. The platform can identify angry customers through their language and respond appropriately.
- Some AI applications are geared towards the analysis of audiovisual media content such as movies, TV programs, advertisement videos or user-generated content.
- The main military applications of Artificial Intelligence being developed are to enhance Command and Control, Communications, Sensors, Integration and Interoperability. Artificial Intelligence technologies can enable threat detection, It can lead to identification, marking of enemy positions, target acquisition, coordination and de-confliction of distributed Joint Fires between networked combat vehicles and tanks.
- While the evolution of music has always been affected by technology, artificial intelligence has enabled, through scientific advances, to emulate, at some extent, human-like composition. Computer made music has been generated to entertain the masses.
- Artificial Intelligence has been combined with many sensor technologies, such as Digital Spectrometry which enables many applications such as home water quality monitoring.
- AI in transportation is being applied with an expectation to provide safe, efficient, and reliable transportation while minimizing the impact on the environment and communities.
Development of Artificial Intelligence applications is opening up new vistas of career and business opportunities. There is hardly any domain of knowledge for its application in business which does not have potential to apply AI for innovative use- opening new vistas of utility. Development of AI needs a large number of skilled manpower, competent in both computer science and the domain to which it can be applied. Billions of dollars have been committed to growth of AI as the future of technology in all walks of life. The World Economic Forum’s The Future of Jobs report predicts that there will be 58 million new jobs in artificial intelligence by 2022.
Automation, robotics and the use of sophisticated computer software and programs characterize a career in artificial intelligence. Those interested in pursuing jobs in this field require specific education based on foundations of math, technology, logic, and engineering perspectives. The most successful AI professionals often share common characteristics that enable them to succeed and advance in their careers. Working with artificial intelligence requires an analytical thought process and the ability to solve problems with cost-effective, efficient solutions. It also requires foresight about technological innovations that translate to state-of-the-art programs that allow businesses to remain competitive. Additionally, AI specialists need technical skills to design, maintain and repair technology and software programs. AI professionals must knowhow to translate highly technical information in ways that others can understand in order to carry out their jobs. This requires good communication and the ability to work with colleagues on a team.
Some of the top careers in Artificial Intelligence are
Data Analytics, requiring education on data science. AI primarily functions on using data analysis in a meaningful way to interpret useful outcomes from the analysis.
User Experience job involves working with products to ensure that consumers understand their function and can easily use them. In terms of AI, responsibilities may include understanding how humans are interacting with these tools in order to develop functionality that better fits those humans’ needs down the line.
Natural Language Processers are individuals who have both the language and technology skills needed to assist in the creation of these tools. Natural language processing is applying machine learning to language. AI researchers focus on discovering ways to advance the technology itself. The AI field relies on traditional computer science roles such as
Software Engineers in a big way to develop the programs on which artificial intelligence tools function. Software Engineers are part of the overall design and development process of digital programs or systems. In the scope of AI, individuals in these roles are responsible for developing the technical functionality of the products which utilize machine learning to carry out a variety of tasks.
Careers in Artificial Intelligence are high on demand, challenging in performance with potential of a high growth and creative satisfaction. Those looking for a career full of creative adventure the future is calling now for exploration as a contributor to disruptive changes in technology and life.
Dr A K Puri is Professor at Jaipuria institute of Management, NOIDA